And now for something completely irrelevant and totally out of date. I was cleaning out “My Documents” folder today when I ran into something from another lifetime (like around 2000).
A co-worker of mine used to refer to VB6’s Run button as the Play button, among other things. That inspired me to write a Top 10 list (i was a fan of Letterman back then) as to why one shouldn’t be a VB programmer. It will only make sense to you if you coded VB5/6 in the 90’s. In fact, for some of the terms, I had to take a double take (WebClasses?).
10. You think that Inheritance is something you get from your granddaddy
9. Think that that Call keyword has something to do with the modem.
8. You think that a WebClass is something you take at your local community college
7. If you look at a checkbox and exclaim: "Wow! Is this new in version 6.0?"
6. If you see an ad in the paper for VB programmer paying $8.25 and you respond to it
5. If you think BLOB and DCOM are new slangs for crack
4. If the ad says "VB programmer with good communication skills needed" and you respond because you have good communications skills
3. If your resume states that you have 27 years of Visual Basic experience
2. You think that downloading VB Helpwriter will help you write VB code
And the Number 1 sign, you should NOT be a VB programmer is
1. You refer to the 'Run' button as the 'Play' button